Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Play Offs

STH BHAM GREENS is offline user with most time on their hands

Agree, I to would take winning the league way above the option of a possible 'exciting' play offs. To state the obvious play offs are a lottery/one offs, one bad day and all your seasons work is down the pan. There are 4 very decent sides IMO in this league the rest (again without being arrogant) IMO are miles off it/us. Quite frankly I rate a good number of teams from the midland league below as just as strong as 'most' teams in our current league.

4 Teams? Some will wonder outside of us, Pete Sports and Corby who I also think are a very decent side.................that would be Bedford Town. That's another reason why I would want to avoid a play off, I can see it a mile off (hope I am wrong), they are coming with a very strong, in form run. One of the pre season favourites, good club, good set up, excellent budget by all accounts, Bedford started league very strong, hammered us and gave us a good tough game at home. They got bogged down in long cup runs and lost momentum in the league, they beat Aldershot 7 -0 for goodness sake after drawing 3-3 away to them......

As for conference north/south etc, agree that should be our minimum aim, Bren Kelly states his ambition is to take us full time and thats one I also agree with, why not? However first lets get out of this league, then there is the problem with the league above, crammed with quality teams and most from midlands........now that IMO is a much much bigger leap than the one we are currently experiencing, But with our crowds (as already stated) and income we should be aiming as high as any other club (at least, why not).

Neil - agree and its also my thoughts if we keep winning it only needs ONE single lose from Pete Sports to really really start cranking the pressure up

Anyway - one game at a time LOL
    Last edited by STH BHAM GREENS; 15th March 2019 at 09:15 AM.

I don't think that Coleshill, Sutton Coldfield and Didcot are any worse than Bedford and could all give Sporting a good game on their day. Didn't we get walloped by Coleshill earlier in the season?

Peterborough will win this league at a canter now. Sporting have dropped way too many points against lesser opposition on their travels.

As said though, second place would be a great achievement and would offer a huge advantage in the play-offs.

Cris is offline user with most time on their hands

Itís quite possible the team finishing 5th will already know they canít be promoted because of PPG before the semi final, which is farcical. Bedford are currently bottom of the PPG table so as it stands could not go up.
    Would you like a double?

Isnt it mad and shows the strength of the top 3 in our league that we talk about 'dropping to many point' and yet we have only lost 4 games and are top of the PPG league!

As far as a great achievement to finish second yes it would be a great achievement if we finished second and went up. It would also be a great achievement if we finished 5th and went up......if we finished secong and didn't go up, then.........

IMO to be classed 'great' achievement we would have to go up, although I accept that finishing second would surpass most fans pre season expectations. I HAVE TO STRESS (just like from our very first season onwards) I have loved watching us again this season and enjoyed every minute of it, I gain enjoyment from following sporting and football in general, not just through 'the winning' but many other factors. I have had to learn this the hard way over the years being a bluenose LOL.............actually maybe that's why I want us (sporting) to keep on 'winning' as its a novelty to follow such a team, a novelty I simply don't want to end!!
    Last edited by STH BHAM GREENS; 15th March 2019 at 01:37 PM.

congrats to Peterborough, the more consistent side throughout the campaign, we slipped up away from home too often, they didnt

big games coming up

Wednesday 1st May SF
    Bank Holiday Monday 6th May Final

gives us a chance to rest a few for the last few games if needed

should be 2 big crowds and a big game atmosphere

glad Coleshill look like they will fall short, have a feeling Corby may come unstuck in their semi

Tom B is offline user with most time on their hands

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_ View Post
    gives us a chance to rest a few for the last few games if needed
    Not til we've sewn up 2nd place! Two more wins required as it stands. 2nd to 3rd is the difference between Home semi/Away final and Home semi/Home final, if of course both make it there.

Also a tough one to call because even a two-week rest for the key players might mean losing some sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Not til we've sewn up 2nd place! Two more wins required as it stands. 2nd to 3rd is the difference between Home semi/Away final and Home semi/Home final, if of course both make it there.

Also a tough one to call because even a two-week rest for the key players might mean losing some sharpness.
    And don't forget everyone we aint lost the league yet!!! Yes I will bang the drum until its impossible - never give in EVER!!!

On the note of the playoff - from a discussion on another media, have you seen the current PPG league table. I knew and understood this from the start of the season, but for others who may not...................

There will be 7 playoff finals across step 4 leagues but only FIVE play off winners will go up. As the PPG league stands we are top (ahead of every other team in the country) and actually Corby are third (proves how strong our top 3 sides are). Now interesting the other 2 sides currently in our play offs our Dicot Town and Bedford, now both these sides are currently rock bottom of the Nationwide PPG league.

This significantly means that even if one of these clubs won our play off final - THEY WOULD NOT GET PROMOTED. Which opens up the debate that has always been likely with this system of WHATS THE POINT in them playing???

Also - let me throw this our there, if you where Bedford and reached the final, I expect them to be very strong next season and you played US, wouldn't you be tempted the throw the game (very controversial I know!!) on the basis that if we didn't go up we are not likely to be 'replaced' in the league with a team as strong as we are, or are going to be again next season at step 4 if we don't go up, i.e a main rival, a very strong rival to Bedford next season......

So why would Bedford bother preventing a club getting promotion that could ultimately stop/prevent them again next season!!!!!

Just think about it (and thank the FA!!). Thoughts....
    Last edited by STH BHAM GREENS; 9th April 2019 at 04:16 PM.

Tom B is offline user with most time on their hands

Great point and I hope they do away with this nonsense ASAP, playoffs where two teams can't go up make you wonder why bother with contesting them. Or it should at least skip straight to a final. Just cheapens the whole thing this way.

Verdebianco is offline user with most time on their hands

Seems a pointless exercise - taking part in a contest in which you cannot claim the prize. Why is this happening?

So we could possibly end up with Sporting in the play off final playing a team that cannot get promoted, do they just hand the game to Sporting or play the game for game's sake, Sporting could lose, but seems they would still get promoted.What happens if both teams in the play off final can't get promoted, it could happen at the expense of ourselves and Corby, perhaps they would then ask Sporting and Corby to play off, what a farce.