Thread: Var

Neil P is offline user with most time on their hands

Default Var

Comments made after the Man City v Spurs game tonight. "VAR will be the death of football." "Punishing an unavoidable accident is a ridiculous new law. If it's a deliberate attempt to manipulate play with your hand fine. If it brushes an arm accidentally at the speed this game is played then the FA have lost the plot",
    VAR must be scrapped now or it will destroy football as a spectacle the same way it has destroyed Rugby Union.

STH BHAM GREENS is offline user with most time on their hands

Quote Originally Posted by Neil P View Post
    Comments made after the Man City v Spurs game tonight. "VAR will be the death of football." "Punishing an unavoidable accident is a ridiculous new law. If it's a deliberate attempt to manipulate play with your hand fine. If it brushes an arm accidentally at the speed this game is played then the FA have lost the plot",
    VAR must be scrapped now or it will destroy football as a spectacle the same way it has destroyed Rugby Union.
    100% agree - absolute farce been against it from the start. Its the start of the death of football - well prem football anyway - lets hope so

Tom B is offline user with most time on their hands

If we do have to have it then I pray they tweak the laws to iron out some more of the issues. It's already better than it was til very recently - decisions seem quicker for one thing - but the obvious big problems still remain:

- defenders are allowed ball-to-hand sometimes, but attackers NEVER are as we saw yesterday & in the Wolves game.

- offside still uses the rule where any body part except an arm makes you offside, no 'daylight' rule at all.

It hasn't been a low-scoring start to the Prem admittedly but I do think these two rules in tandem will reduce the number of goals in games; first one doesn't even seem fair & the second leads to tedious decisions like when Sterling was called offside by about 1mm against West Ham.

Admittedly the one that ruled out City's winner yesterday was very funny.

MK Green is offline user with most time on their hands

Irrespective of what you think of VAR it's the dumb new handball law that was the issue!

Stoke Prior Andy is offline user with most time on their hands

Quote Originally Posted by MK Green View Post
    Irrespective of what you think of VAR it's the dumb new handball law that was the issue!
    VAR is terrible though. It has just removed one set of opinions with another that take longer and it now means matches with VAR operate to different laws and Standards to those without VAR.

Go read the new offside law. It is ridiculous and only properly enforceable with cameras. There is no way an assistant referee by the naked eye could tell if a players foot was offside at the moment the ball was released if two players were about level. To make it harder i suggest all players wear green boots with green laces. That would make it doubly difficult.

Couple that with the new terrible handball law and Spurs got away with a draw on Saturday, thankfully!

#scrapvar

marc s is offline user with most time on their hands

Did you hear the Spurs fans singing V-A-R my Lord, V-A-R to the tune of Kumbaya? Bloody brilliant.
    On your feet or on your knees...

MK Green is offline user with most time on their hands

I agree Andy. There is also the issue of the video camera frame rates!
    And as for offside at least just stick with the feet to simplify matters.
    Tottenham were very fortunate (thankfully) not least with City having a penalty refused in the first half!

Fortunately, I doubt VAR will filter down to this level for some time - too expensive.

STH BHAM GREENS is offline user with most time on their hands

Plus in kills the game in terms of spontaneity!! Football is all about scoring a screamer, players running towards the crowd, drama, everyone cheering and 'losing' themselves in the moment for a coupe of seconds.

Not - scoring a goal, all stop, look around at officials, stop look at the big screen, cheers, maybe not, then cheer again maybe not, then silence, then cheer........

Its crap, takes the very thing out of the game most of us love drama!!! Yes their will be human error, always has been, we all moan and moan about refs now and again, but give me that a million times more than watching and waiting for a screen to tell you if you have scored that all important goal.............absolute crap and I hope another nail in the prem coffin - you get what you deserve, over thinking it over complicating and all because there is BIG money involved.

Get rid of it now, actually don't let the prem suffer with it all season it will hopefully become a farce