Thread: Sporting 1 - Royston 1.

and@etc is offline user with most time on their hands

Default Sporting 1 - Royston 1.

Any thoughts ?? The opposition were a big and well organised outfit and were worth their share of the spoils. Not sure what out tactics were meant to be but for 30 minutes we had no wide forwards and the visiting fullbacks had a field day. We then played two wide forwards but that resulted in one lone central striker . . . . . Maybe the visitors fielded an extra player . . . . . . I think we relied on the big boot forward too often but in the bigger picture , we play at our highest level and against more experienced teams.
    " If I can not have the club,no one else will. " TWH. c2008.

Tom B is offline user with most time on their hands

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Any thoughts ?? The opposition were a big and well organised outfit and were worth their share of the spoils. Not sure what out tactics were meant to be but for 30 minutes we had no wide forwards and the visiting fullbacks had a field day. We then played two wide forwards but that resulted in one lone central striker . . . . . Maybe the visitors fielded an extra player . . . . . . I think we relied on the big boot forward too often but in the bigger picture , we play at our highest level and against more experienced teams.
    I think on days when it isn't quite happening for Mike Taylor as a pure physical threat (CBs were a match for him yesterday) we need to be brave enough to build from the back like we used to, otherwise there's not much of a plan B. Thought we could've also made a bit more of set pieces after Harry scored from a good corner.

With that being said, conditions were vile and there were several times that a pass or cross were sent astray by how poorly the ball ran on the pitch. It was cutting up terribly. Nothing you can really do about that

Neil P is offline user with most time on their hands

We have only won two games at home all season. Have to say, Royston were the best footballing side to play us at home. The weight of expectation seems to affect us at home. Once all the new signings settle down and can manage this expectation, plus keeping a settled side, I have no doubt we will go on a long run that will take us into the play off places. Like the look of Jak Hickman who has solved the right back position, also HH looked impressive in partnership with TT. We have a lot of quality in this side, just need to find some consistency.

Tom B is offline user with most time on their hands

Worth mentioning that we've played a ridiculous number of high-flying teams at home so far as well. Royston seem similar to us in that they may be lower in the table than they'll end up - or maybe the league really just is this tough?

St Ives are the only visitors to the VG so far that really haven't impressed me with the quality of their play.

and@etc is offline user with most time on their hands

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Not sure what out tactics were meant to be but for 30 minutes we had no wide forwards and the visiting fullbacks had a field day. We then played two wide forwards but that resulted in one lone central striker . . . . .
    After reading through Bren's match report in tonight' Advertiser , it would appear that I did the "team" a disservice by questioning Saturdays tactics. The report says the our visitors had been watched and we picked a team to combat their style of play . . . . . only for them to adopt totally different tactics !! Oooops.
    " If I can not have the club,no one else will. " TWH. c2008.