Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barwell at home in the league.

Tom B is offline user with most time on their hands

My thoughts:

* Surreal few minutes in the second half summed it up for me, all three of Taylor, Broadhurst and then finally Platt for the 4th goal were caught in possession when they'd had an absolute age to decide what to do with the ball. Even Jacko had a moment a bit like it, but it only prevented an attack rather than causing us any danger. At the moment it looks like even when teams are setup to counter on us, meaning we have time on the ball, the players either rush into a poor pass or just dwell on the ball so long that they actually do get closed down successfully. It looks almost like a fear factor has set in at the home games? I don't know if it's the crowd itself, Bren's man management or the weight of expectation, but they look petrified out there at times.

* The subs took way too long to start being made, but then the third was one I've seen Bren make too many times when we're losing; a winger for a centre back meant everyone knew we'd utterly lose our shape, and lo and behold we looked even worse at the back, while through no fault of their own we had the one ridiculous move with Charlie and two others all about 5ft away from each other on the left wing. It's like how I'd manage a team on FM when I've already decided to uninstall the game in a fit of rage afterwards lol, just seems like bad impulse control more than anything. If he can avoid that in future it'd be good.

* Don't care *that* much as we're still 4th and bound to put in a few more good performances before the season's end. If we make the playoffs that'll be an obscenely good return on our first season in tier 3; a fourth promotion running would be beyond belief. I still think Pete Sports will win the title & everyone just below them is beatable, so even if we ended up clinging onto 5th place we'd be in with as much of a shout as anyone. Maybe we'll fade away but that's football.

* The one thing I'd guard against is too much player turnover or getting stars in our eyes for every new signing (this is aimed at Bren! Whom I think is doing fine overall, by the way, but he's obviously not perfect else he'd have moved up to a higher league) Styche may come good despite a poor game yesterday but I really don't see what Rich Gregory can have done to lose that starting spot, especially as club captain, unless fitness played a part in it. I've seen Dan Platt have one or two magnificent games for us, and yesterday's blunder was unusual, but ultimately his signing following on from Tony Breeden's led to Jono Brown feeling he had to leave - I draw that parallel because I worry we might alienate some very loyal servants to the club *who are still good enough* if we keep getting distracted by every shiny new player that becomes available. Davidson looked class, to be fair, but it will be interesting to see where he fits in. I thought he was more effective running from deep personally (despite the rest of the team turning to crap late on).

* We don't have a backup right back or a backup for Shaq and it makes my heart sink when one or both of him or Jack H are injured. Not saying we have to sign two great players for every position as that goes against what I said in the previous point, it's just bad luck. I do wonder though what we'll do when Hickman leaves, assuming we don't get him on a permo. It took bloody ages to find a natural fit there after Azza left.

* Very slight positive from yesterday, at 1-1 and maybe still at 2-1 down there were moves being put together that I haven't seen from us since early in the season. No real gilt edged chances from them, but it would be great to see the players using their technique to break through opposition defences like we used to. Styche to be fair could've done more with his movement to facilitate this - hope it becomes easier when Shaq is back and able to make runs in behind.

- We are doing very well for our first crack at this league, if you had offered most of our fans the chance of play offs at the start of the season - they'd have bitten our hand off.

- 3 promotions on the bounce, is an amazing achievement. Nothing can be faulted about that, even if it was expected due to our club size & the ability we have.

- Concerning performance on Saturday & very lack lustre. Taylor is a huge miss, Hickman to. It is the first time we have played where i said to my mate 'we could do with a Hayward here'. Slow to every second ball, caught out by two good & fast forwards for Barwell. Also rated their no10. Probably the worst performance of the season, and losing to sides that we should beat at home does annoy you & hurt. Lucky that other play off contenders all lost, but that'll soon change & can't rely on that. We couldn't seem to work out their press, and one through ball cut us open every time, which led to our positioning being awful.

- Westwood isn't a right back what so ever, but i suppose he has to try and do a job. Mills looked very uninterested & hasn't been all that since his move from Stourbridge. Strange to see Platt have an off day to, but he has more than made up for it with other performances.

- Can't understand going 1 up front, at home to a mid table side. We have to learn to play another way & have other style's. Not saying it is a free hit on Saturday, but Redditch could be a game we need after this result. Other top sides play each other to which may be a bonus. I feel 4th is the best we could get, which is where we have been all season with others having games in hand when we were top etc. Every side has a few bad results a season, but we cant play in that manner again. Definitely not a 'Bren out' moment, but just feel he needs to adapt & think out the box a bit.

I will say that Barwell were decent & if I hadn't known their position before the game, would never have guessed as low as 13th. Two or three seriously rapid players in attack which was what caused us most of our defensive headaches.

Not sure I agree about Hayward being a huge loss, he was capable of some top class performances but also had off days just like Gift Mussa had yesterday. GM is probably a better player overall and we have healthy competition for midfield places, with Davidson and Spink vying for inclusion along with some younger players.

Agree with Barwell & their position, look much better than 13th but also we had an awful day.
    Hayward had the bite in midfield, i do rate GM highly & everyone has their off day, like he did. Think JQ struggled to.
    Davidson looked sharp, don't think Spink CM is the answer to it.
    On to Redditch!

Spink very much 4th choice at this point but arguably worth keeping him around if he doesn't mind. If he wanted first team football elsewhere then I suppose we could recall Tom Massey or move Leon Broadhurst back into centre mid (am I right in thinking that's where he used to play for Stour?)

Yeah CM for Stourbridge. Probably still do a very good job there, however it would leave us short at the back. Can't see Massey coming back in straight away

Massey looked *nearly* ready early in the season, the thing is all it takes is one moment of inexperience and you'll get punished potentially. Even at this level!

As for CB, at this point I have to assume Kyle Lincoln is gone? Shame as I rated him almost as high as Tom Taylor last season. Long commute for a semi pro though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Massey looked *nearly* ready early in the season, the thing is all it takes is one moment of inexperience and you'll get punished potentially. Even at this level!

As for CB, at this point I have to assume Kyle Lincoln is gone? Shame as I rated him almost as high as Tom Taylor last season. Long commute for a semi pro though.
    All I can say is so glad you donít pick the team !!

You didn't rate Lincoln then?