Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday 24/10/20. A watershed moment ???

Quote Originally Posted by Oakalls Rover View Post
    May as well write this season off then.. people always refer to the titles he’s won, not being funny but with the crowds, budget and squads we had promotion was essential and in my eyes he’s done what had to be done.

Game management is the big issue for me; leaves changes far too late or makes baffling decisions with his starting line-up. People are saying we lack characters; Hayward, Broadhurst, Cowley, Mikey, Tom Taylor, Platty and Quaynor to name a few.

Bren has gotten us this far but now we’re on a more level playing field with other clubs in our league, can’t see us progressing out of this division with him in charge unfortunately.
    The Covid situation has certainly levelled up the finances limiting attendances to 600 although we are still one of a few clubs in the division selling out 600. Injuries have also played their part but other clubs must also suffer from this. I think that the quality of players that have left us haven't been replaced with equal or better quality. It must be a balancing act financially to justify who comes in and for what price in these difficult times as the club must live within its means. I'm still optimistic that a full squad without the injury problems suffered by the likes of the two Taylors, Cowley and others will see us pull our form around and we'll be in with a shout of the play-offs although I think that looking to progress to the next level at the moment with all that's involved, both in finance and assembling a team good enough to hold it's own in the Conference north, is something to be considered with caution until life returns to something like normal.

Default We have to be ruthless

There is little time in football for fond reflection and loyalty ... Last night people were commenting that we should give him (Bren) more time and he will get it sorted. For me and this is just my opinion, Bren has took us a long way, his tenure started really well we progressed quickly, possibly more quickly than we were ready for.

If we think back to last Feb / March and then again this season our momentum has stopped, performances have been pretty uninspiring and teams are turning us over, teams that we would have beaten at ease last season.

Something has gone wrong and it looks as though they are getting worse, the board have to be decisive, whether to sack him or back him.

I don't accept COVID as being a huge obstacle for the club (i don't mean that lightly, COVID is terrible but don't hide behind it) Things are really simple for me ... We put 11 players on the pitch and we spend £X each week for them... If they are not performing on a consistent basis then replace them, You are still only spending £X each week ... If the manager wants to keep them and they are still under achieving then the consequence sits with the manager.

Our goalkeeper has been responsible for our points total, yes we have had injuries but that highlights that our strength in depth is not good enough ... Top Players have been let go and replacements have been poor (exception of Cowley) ...

For me, taking sentiment out of this

Platt
    Broadhurst
    Hayward
    Mussa
    Quaynor
    Dowd
    Wilson

are the only ones earning their money this season, with the exception of Mikey Taylor, Shorrock, Cowley who are struggling with injuries, the rest are not performing to the level required so should set up and perform or be replaced ... Remember this is deep rooted from last February ....

We started the season thinking of promotion ... a relegation battle is looking more likely

Nothing personal about anyone, but sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind. I am struggling to "dust myself down" and "put things right to the next game"

Default Team Talk.

Always tricky when losses occur and need to find someone to blame, usually the manager.

I must admit I have found some of the transactions a little baffling. When Jason Cowley was signed, Bren took up a lot of press thanking the Chairman who "got the deal over the line!" This says to me that The chair was heavily involved in getting a headline signing after all the departures. If you play a big money player and you have a fixed budget, then all us fantasy football managers know, you play cheaper players in other positions. Its a balancing act.

So in my view the decision on the playing staff is a joint one between the Chair and the Manager. If performances do not meet expectations then there is a decision to make centering on the financial constraints and what the Chairman wants.

I was always told that the hired and the hirer should consider their positions if results do not meet mutually agreed targets.

Bren is a straight up guy and if its his fault, then I think he would offer resignation if he cannot turn it around. If he feels he can turn it, he will stay. If the Chair thinks he cannot do it, then he should also be honest with the fans and shoulder a proportion of the blame.

As its nearly the clubs AGM and the press over the summer with season tickets, pitch, etc has not been great, I do wonder if the JC signing was one to appease rather than win leagues, "give the people what they want!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boabby View Post
    Always tricky when losses occur and need to find someone to blame, usually the manager.

I must admit I have found some of the transactions a little baffling. When Jason Cowley was signed, Bren took up a lot of press thanking the Chairman who "got the deal over the line!" This says to me that The chair was heavily involved in getting a headline signing after all the departures. If you play a big money player and you have a fixed budget, then all us fantasy football managers know, you play cheaper players in other positions. Its a balancing act.

So in my view the decision on the playing staff is a joint one between the Chair and the Manager. If performances do not meet expectations then there is a decision to make centering on the financial constraints and what the Chairman wants.

I was always told that the hired and the hirer should consider their positions if results do not meet mutually agreed targets.

Bren is a straight up guy and if its his fault, then I think he would offer resignation if he cannot turn it around. If he feels he can turn it, he will stay. If the Chair thinks he cannot do it, then he should also be honest with the fans and shoulder a proportion of the blame.

As its nearly the clubs AGM and the press over the summer with season tickets, pitch, etc has not been great, I do wonder if the JC signing was one to appease rather than win leagues, "give the people what they want!"
    Jase re-signing hasn't come off yet probably due to the fact he's been carrying an injury, they say never go back, time will tell.
    If the rumours are true about how much wedge he's on then for me personally I'd rather have signed two quality players instead and made the squad stronger.
    The bench is incredibly threadbare atm especially with the injuries.

Oh and another question
    Whose idea was it to get rid of the floodlit side?
    We had a couple of good lads on the fringes of first team footall last season
    Instead we've replaced a good standard of football with a mickey mouse women's team who contribute nothing except keeping the PR people happy

Quote Originally Posted by dario g View Post
    Jase re-signing hasn't come off yet probably due to the fact he's been carrying an injury, they say never go back, time will tell.
    If the rumours are true about how much wedge he's on then for me personally I'd rather have signed two quality players instead and made the squad stronger.
    The bench is incredibly threadbare atm especially with the injuries.

Oh and another question
    Instead we've replaced a good standard of football with a mickey mouse women's team who contribute nothing except keeping the PR people happy
    I would imaging the veterans and Ladies teams either pay or are good for the "Inclusivity."

I understand that The Chairmans shop sponsors the ladies team tracksuits and one of the Directors has played for them.

Alvechurch always pulls a player from the Academy or floodlight teams to fill a bench and one lad has signed first team forms. Jacob Wakeling, 17, left West Brom in the summer, came to the 'Church, scored goals and now has signed for Leicester City. I think it pays to be associated with the younger lads coming through to open age football.

Still, as the Chairman has been quoted on many occasions, "Business Decisions." If you have concerns, buy a share, go to the AGM and ask the questions!

Phoenix is offline user with most time on their hands

Quote Originally Posted by dario g View Post
    Oh and another question
    I noticed said Director in one of the team photos for the Ladies side which instantly made me question the motives behind the decision to have one.

For all the talk that certain parties like to throw out about "the future is youth," "he's one of our own" etc. that's all it does seem to be, talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Boabby View Post
    I would imaging the veterans and Ladies teams either pay or are good for the "Inclusivity."

I understand that The Chairmans shop sponsors the ladies team tracksuits and one of the Directors has played for them.

Alvechurch always pulls a player from the Academy or floodlight teams to fill a bench and one lad has signed first team forms. Jacob Wakeling, 17, left West Brom in the summer, came to the 'Church, scored goals and now has signed for Leicester City. I think it pays to be associated with the younger lads coming through to open age football.

Still, as the Chairman has been quoted on many occasions, "Business Decisions." If you have concerns, buy a share, go to the AGM and ask the questions!

That would explain alot!

and@etc is offline user with most time on their hands

As this thread is slowly veering from football to finance , I will add this . I intended to post this before the Hednesford game , but got waylaid by work etc. My thoughts were that after last Saturday and looking at the next two games [Hednesford and Coleshill] , I reckoned that both were "winnable" and this would put our season back on track - I called the first one wrong . . . . . Tomorrow will be a big game and a win is now desperately needed for numerous reasons and these factors will give the opposition a big boost - expect them to come at us full bore from the kick off. As said before , we have some quality players and "should" be performing at a more consistent level. A big day for club , manager , players [and fans]. Good luck.
    " If I can not have the club,no one else will. " TWH. c2008.

Cool Floodlit and ladies team

MICKEY MOUSE ....and im sure you no me as I was the u18s floodlit manager ,,,,,, its very difficult to jump from u18s to current level at sporting ,, the majority of my u18s are now playing elsewhere on dual regs to give them the opportunity to play adult football and gain experience ,,,, Fairfield have 3 sutton Coldfield have 1 ,boldmere has 1 and miro currently is in the first team squad ,,,,,,, ive had some really decent players come through the floodlit teams who have been given opportunities by Brendan and even paul smith in recent years and unfortunately none have gone on to further there progression apart from ones mentioned and nath binner.,as for the comment from boabby about Jake wakeling he was at WBA and for alvechurch to attract him was a great bit of business , the boy was never gonna be there that long he has too much talent and jake and I no his parents well is an exceptional rare talent that comes along once in a lifetime ,,, ive seen all levels of floodlit alvechurch as well as other floodlit teams and there has been some really talented players come through these teams who have now gone by the by ,,,shame not sure what the answer is but some really good young players who could well have gone on to better things ....reserve teams at most clubs are now non existent shame cos its an opportunity to keep your youth within your club framework .......
    as for the MICKEY MOUSE ladies team ,,, it was my suggestion to start the ladies team at Bromsgrove sporting with the intention of attracting ladies football as bromsgrove have achieved with the colts and create a youth development for young girls ... UNFAIR comment ,and I would like to suggest at my invite that you actually attend one of the ladies home games and see the way the community has taken to the team and the support they receive ==== alan horton

The floodlit league was a decent standard and I enjoyed watching some talented lads and good games down the VG.
    Nathan Binner made some appearances for the first team last season as did Sam Collins, the current Redditch captain was also a product I believe.
    With our current injury woes a couple of these lads could be bench fillers at least.

So to do away with it for ladies football for diversity or PR is a joke of a decision imho.
    Not to mention ruining the pitch
    I spose the chairman thinks that by having the veterans and ladies running on a sunday together he'll rake a few quid in the bar and save on the floodlight bill
    Tinpot