Change:  Move to:

Slough Town

The Rebels

c/o Beaconsfield SYCOB F.C. Holloways Park, Slough Road,
Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. HP9 2SG
01494 676868
Map of area Directions Five Day Weather
Club Notes
Slough Town enter their second season at Beaconsfield SYCOB’s Holloway’s Park ground with a number of positives. A reprieve from relegation last season has buoyed the club and under the guidance of new manager Derek Sweetman and new chairman Steve Easterbrook, the club is going from strength to strength. The acquisition of eight new players to the squad is a signal of intent for the coming season from the Rebels as they look to impose themselves on the British Gas Southern League South & West Division.

Recent seasons at Windsor & Eton’s Stag Meadow ground, a venue which the Rebels called home for four seasons, have seen the club reach the 2nd Round Proper of the FA Cup, the fifth round of the FA Trophy and lift the Bryco Cup in a single fascinating season, also helping the club raise the profile of their homeless status to the people in power within the local council.

In 2002/3, the striking partnership of Tony Boot and Ian Hodges, who managed 66 goals between them throughout the season, broke a post-war Slough Town goalscoring partnership record. The club also had an excellent run in to the season which saw them only lose four of their last twenty four matches in all competitions from the turn of the year.

Recent times have seen Slough reach the FA Cup first round on two occasions, narrowly losing both times against Macclesfield, on penalties after forcing the Division Two side to a replay, and North West Counties League Harrogate Railway, going down 2-1 at Wexham Park in the midst of mixed league fortunes. Since their expulsion from the Conference after the 1997/98 season, the side was rescued by a deal from a consortium headed by Martyn Deaner nine days before the start of the season. The club began that season with a very scratch squad with only five players remaining from the previous Conference squad to begin the season along with a group of hastily recruited players. An astonishing opening game saw the 'Rebels' overcome the favourites for the Ryman Premier Division title by a single goal in what can only be described as an heroic performance.

The club continued to build on this success and the appointment of Graham Roberts to assist Paul Hardyman with the management of the side, proved to be a turbulent one, but one which brought quality onto the playing fields at Wexham Park. Slough began the 1999/2000 season as one of the hot favourites for the title with the squad that Roberts built, but faded away throughout the season. Steve Browne, Roberts assistant, took over the reigns with Roberts resigning from the managers position, and guided Slough to a comfortable ninth place.

Big name signings took place over the summer as the club prepared for another push at the title, but very public off-field problems appeared to help the Rebels demise as they were relegated from the Premier Division from the first time in their history. Another summer of discontent followed and Slough's preparations were again hampered by not having a pre-season. As a result, it took Slough around six games to gel and 'get going' in their league campaign. This poor start cost them dearly, despite a tremendous effort from the squad, and around March time, the club's bid for promotion faded.

With the regionalisation of the Ryman Division One came renewed hope. A pre-season campaign was arranged and a squad full of proven ability was being formed. The Rebels topped the table once during the season, and were always around the two available promotion spots, but it proved a step too far. A bright partnership between Sammy Winston and Tony Boot was a big highlight for the travelling 'Amber Army', as they managed 67 goals between them in all competitions.

At the end of 1997-98 the 'Rebels' were semi-finalists once again in the F.A. Trophy losing 2-1 on aggregate to Southport. Finishing in eighth place after completing the double against Kidderminster Harriers on the final day of the season the consortium decided that they could no longer fund the club, and with ground improvements required for Slough Town to stay in the division, the club was relegated from the Conference instead of Telford United.

The club was officially founded in 1890 after the amalgamation of the Swifts, Slough Albion and the Young Mens' Friendly Society, who between them forged a new club, Slough FC. Slough joined with Erith and Belvedere, Tottenham, Old St. Stephens, Polytechnic, Windsor and Eton, and Upton Park to play regular league football for the first time two seasons later in the Southern Alliance.

Progress in the Southern Alliance, and later the Great Western Suburban League was not spectacular, but in 1921 the club lost out by a narrow margin of votes to Wycombe Wanderers in an effort to obtain membership of the Isthmian League. Disappointed with this decision the club decided to join the Spartan League instead where it remained until the outbreak of World War II.

In 1936 the club committee of Slough F.C. made a dreadful mistake that has haunted the club ever since when they made no effort to buy the Dolphin Stadium from the landlord, George Bennett. Instead Clapton Stadiums Ltd. purchased the site which soon became a greyhound stadium where football could be played. When hostilities began in 1939 Slough F.C. was forced to leave the Dolphin and as a result moved to Maidenhead in order to survive, entering a ground sharing arrangement with the 'Magpies' until 1943. It was then that Slough Centre F.C. proposed an amalgamation of the clubs, and a home within the borough at Belfast Avenue. A new name of Slough United was adopted.

As Slough United the club began to be very successful in the Herts and Middlesex League finishing runners up to Walthamstow Avenue in 1943-44, and third to the same club the following season. After performing well against quality opposition such as Barnet, Hitchin Town, and Golders Green (now Hendon), the club was reluctant to revert to Spartan League football at the end of the war. Consequently Slough led a move to create a new league which was quickly sanctioned by the F.A. This became known as the Corinthian League. It was because of this action that Slough United became known as the 'Rebels'.

In November 1947 the title was changed to Slough Town F.C., and following two difficult seasons the club emerged to win its first championship in its Golden Jubilee year beating runners up Hounslow Town 2-0 in the final match of the season. Under the management of the legendary Bob Gibbs Slough Town narrowly won the championship of Division One in 1964-65. Later the club lifted the Athenian League championship in 1967-68. As Bob Gibbs retired so the famous Tommy Lawrence took over the reins at the Dolphin with considerable success. Under his management the 'Rebels' were able to field eight amateur internationals on a regular basis winning the Athenian title in 1971-72 and 1972-73 They were semi-finalists in the Amateur Cup in 1972 and then finalists in 1973 losing to a very late goal at Wembley scored by Roger Connell who had previously played for several seasons with Slough.

In 1973 the club became part of Division One of the Isthmian League, and they were immediately promoted behind champions, Dagenham, into the Premier Division. Following their eviction from the Dolphin Stadium, Slough Town moved to a new ground on the outskirts of the town, Wexham Park Stadium, which was hastily built by the members and supporters. The club flourished at its new level winning the championship in 1980-81 A second championship in 1989-90 enabled the 'Rebels' to achieve the ambition to play at the highest level in Non League football in the GM Vauxhall Conference during the club's Centenary Year. Playing at this level for the first two seasons was not at all easy. In 1991 the club was forced into receivership.

The club was immediately purchased by a consortium that was previously connected with Millwall F.C who had been upset at the hands of Slough Town in the F.A. Cup in 1982 with Gary Attrell scoring the only goal of the game for Slough. The next season, under the management of Dave Kemp, and after chasing Wycombe Wanderers to the championship throughout the season in the final weeks the club fell away a little to finish fifth. At the end of that campaign Kemp left to take over at Crystal Palace and the managerial change proved disastrous. At the end of the following season Slough Town was relegated during the final two minutes when Merthyr Tydfil scored a very late winner to overtake them, with a record 47 points, the highest recorded in the Conference for the drop. Disappointingly Slough returned to the Diadora League but were immediately returned as runners up at the end of the following season instead of champions Enfield.
Club Connections:
Damien Markman
Matchtype filter:
Venue Matches W D L Goals + / -
Home 4 1 1 2 4 - 3 +1
Away 4 2 1 1 7 - 6 +1
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 +0
Total 8 3 2 3 11 - 9 +2

Date Comp. Venue Score Stadium Crowd
28.09.1996 National Conference Home 4 - 1 Victoria Ground 868
14.09.1996 National Conference Away 0 - 2 Wexham Park 1158
30.03.1996 National Conference Home 0 - 0 Victoria Ground 687
23.09.1995 National Conference Away 3 - 2 Wexham Park 931
14.04.1994 National Conference Away 1 - 1 Wexham Park 538
02.04.1994 National Conference Home 0 - 1 Victoria Ground 752
13.02.1993 National Conference Home 0 - 1 Victoria Ground 1456
03.10.1992 National Conference Away 3 - 1 Wexham Park 866